Billing & Payment Assistance
Customer Energy Assistance Programs
An array of payment options is offered to you by KCP&L for your convenience. The options below may be particularly helpful to you:
- Budget Billing is calculated by averaging usage over 12 months giving you a fixed monthly payment amount, regardless of seasonal ups and downs. Your account is reviewed annually and adjusted as needed based on usage and rate changes. Each month, an up-to-date account status is shown on your bill.
- Online payment options with credit, debit card or check are available to residential customers.
- Mobile Alerts and Payments allow you to manage your KCP&L account including reminders, making payments and payment confirmations – all from your mobile phone.
Financial Assistance Programs
- United Way 2-1-1 is an easy to remember phone number that connects people with available community resources, including agencies that provide utility assistance. This free service is available 24 hrs, 7 days a week; simply dial 2-1-1.
Note: United Way's 2-1-1 number may not work in all areas; please refer to the list of toll-free numbers in your county.
- LIHEAP (The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program) is a federally funded program that helps eligible households pay their energy bills. However, LIHEAP funding for 2011 – 2012 has been cut in half. For the most assistance and flexibility with your electric utility bill, contact KCP&L before you fall behind on your bill to discuss a variety of payment options.
For more information or an application, please click on the following links:
Missouri LIHEAP, or call United Way 2-1-1 for a referral to your local community action agency.
Kansas LIEAP, or call 1 (800) 432-0043.
- Cold Weather Program allows customers with delinquent accounts avoid loss of service during the coldest months of the year. However, the customer is still responsible for payment of electricity used if enrolled in this program.
- Weatherization is a free service available to homeowners and renters whose income qualifies. To qualify, you must have household earnings at or below the current income guidelines, have received service from KCP&L or previously with Aquila for at least one year, and have household energy consumption of more than 3,000 kWh per year. Managed by county community action agencies, services include caulking and weather stripping. Call us for local agency information.
Customers with Special Needs
- Adjustable Due Date is a program that allows customers relying on Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) to schedule payment due dates to better correspond with the receipt of benefits.
- Medical Customer Program is for customers who depend on electrically operated life-support equipment. Contact KCP&L online or by phone for a Medical Customer application form.
- Special Friend Registration is for customers 60 or older who are disabled or expect to be away for long periods of time. These customers may give KCP&L the name of a relative, friend or agency to contact if their payments become overdue. This "special friend" is not responsible for payments, but could help mitigate service issues. Contact one of KCP&L's customer service representatives at (816) 471-5275 or 1 (888) 471-5275 for information.
Helping Others in Need
- Energy Gift Program lets individuals give the gift of energy to family or friends. Anyone can place an Energy Gift on a KCP&L customer's account. They may be purchased by check or money order, and can be given anonymously. Energy Gifts are nonrefundable and considered a gift, not a tax deductible donation. To arrange for an Energy Gift, contact us at (816) 471-5275 or 1 (888) 471-5275.
- Dollar-Aide has helped thousands of families pay their heating, cooling and water bills during financially pressing times. The program is funded by customer and employee donations and KCP&L now matches each $1 donated with a $1 energy credit.
Call (816) 471-5275 or 1 (888) 471-5275 to add a Dollar-Aide pledge to your monthly bill. Alternatively, make a one-time donation by check payable to Dollar-Aide. Checks may also be mailed with your monthly payment or sent directly to Dollar-Aide, c/o US Bank; 8600 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Suite 105; Merriam, KS 66202.
Dollar-Aide funds are administered by the Mid America Assistance Coalition (MAAC) and the United Way of Greater St. Joseph. All donations are tax deductible.